MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Moldy food and dirty hands, those are only some of the violations the Department of Health says it found at a local restaurant.
Panda China Buffet is the focus of that report. Inspectors with the Department of Health did a thorough inspection and found several issues at the Asian Restaurant, including moldy food.
Panda China Buffet is a restaurant you probably pass if you drive on US-501 in Conway.
"The food itself tastes okay, it's pretty good," said customer Jim O'Neil. "A pretty good selection, but it was never quite up to temperature, I think the warming trays, it's never right, they always seemed a little cool."
In fact, DHEC cited the buffet for keeping food at the wrong temperature.
When WMBF News told Jim DHEC cited the restaurant for more than a dozen violations, including moldy cucumbers, he wasn't thrilled.
Inspectors say they also found employees not using soap to wash their hands, and food leftover in the meat grinder. Several of these violations were, however, corrected during the inspection.
Panda China Buffet scored a B, a letter, Jim never recognized when he went out to eat.
"Now that you know that grading system I think, knowing it's a B, why would you go there if somebody else has an A?" said O'Neil.
A restaurant that did score an A is Dickey's Barbecue Pit in Myrtle Beach.
"It's my first time here, I like it, it's pretty good. I got the beef brisket, macaroni and cheese and jalapeno beans," said customer Eric Iles.
DHEC seems pleased with the restaurant as well, scoring it a 99.
"If they're maintaining higher standards, that's important I mean for your health and for the enjoyment, that's why you go out to dinner you wanna have the first rate experience," said O'Neil.