Improper use of a space heater to blame for Timmonsville house fire

Improper use of a space heater to blame for Timmonsville house fire

FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - West Florence Fire-Rescue crews were called out to a house fire early Tuesday morning.

The home is located at 2333 Walker-Swinton Road in Timmonsville. Crews were able to contain the fire to the front living room and kitchen. However according to Battalion Chief Dustin Fails, the rest of the house is damaged by smoke.

Chief Fails, said all the occupants of the house made it out without any injury and the American Red Cross is now assisting them with temporary living arrangements.

The fire was determined to be caused due to improper use of a space heater being connected to an extension cord.

The West Florence Fire-Rescue wants to remind everyone to ensure that space heaters should not be connected extension cords and power strips due to the amount of power it uses.

Florence County EMS also provided assistance in at the scene.

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.