NMB City Council moves forward with Cherry Grove dredging - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

North Myrtle Beach City Council moves forward with Cherry Grove dredging project

NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – The North Myrtle Beach City Council passed the resolution for the Cherry Grove dredging project on January 12.

The public hearing will be held on a Saturday, February 21 for more input and ideas because this will not become a final ordinance until early spring. 

The project calls for 13 million dollars to be spent and some people in the area are concerned about the ten year, $2,400 payment that property owners would pay under the proposal.

Starting at 10 a.m. today, you can voice your opinion about the project to city leaders at the North Myrtle Beach City Hall.

While some residents say there are things they would like to see answered, there is one thing both the council and the residents agreed on.

"This has been a long process, we have worked years and years to get to where we are tonight," Mayor Hatley said.

"It's been a long, I've been here eight years and I think you've been doing it long before I got here," one resident said.

Though council members passed the resolution without much debate, and tonight was not meant for much public input, some still got to voice their opinions.

"In all of the things we pay for that makes this community better, I support all of them, I just urge you as we get through this process, to find a way to reduce the cost for the property owners," another resident added.

Dave Hendrickson does not believe property owners on the canal shouldn't pay. He does want to pay, but also wanted to point out how the canals are used by more than just the property owners.

"This little swatch of land that's in the back of my house is nothing compared to the amount of dredging being done everywhere that everybody benefits from: the boaters, the kayakers, the fisherman, everybody benefits, and I think everybody should pay," Hendrickson said.

Some residents feel the resolution does an excellent job laying out the cost, without going into detail on what's actually being done to the canal.They want to know the benefit in comparison to their docks and their property.

The resolution also calls for a possible maintenance dredge about seven to eight years down the road.

"And not only would it be more costly, we may not do it at all at that point, and in which case the first dredging wouldn't result in any really great benefit at all," Alex Neely noted.

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • SCDOT contractor injured in accident on Highway 31

    SCDOT contractor injured in accident on Highway 31

    Monday, June 18 2018 11:03 AM EDT2018-06-18 15:03:24 GMT
    WMBF NewsWMBF News

    A South Carolina Department of Transportation contractor was injured Monday morning after a tractor the worker was driving was struck by a vehicle on Highway 31, according to Pete Poore with the SCDOT. Poore confirms the contractor was cutting grass.

    More >>

    A South Carolina Department of Transportation contractor was injured Monday morning after a tractor the worker was driving was struck by a vehicle on Highway 31, according to Pete Poore with the SCDOT. Poore confirms the contractor was cutting grass.

    More >>
  • Some Grand Strand courses close for green renovations

    Some Grand Strand courses close for green renovations

    Monday, June 18 2018 10:27 AM EDT2018-06-18 14:27:22 GMT
    International Club is one of several golf courses across the Grand Strand to close for green renovations after the harsh winter weather earlier this year (Source: Marissa Tansino)International Club is one of several golf courses across the Grand Strand to close for green renovations after the harsh winter weather earlier this year (Source: Marissa Tansino)

    International Club is one of several golf courses across the Grand Strand to close for green renovations after the harsh winter weather earlier this year.

    More >>

    International Club is one of several golf courses across the Grand Strand to close for green renovations after the harsh winter weather earlier this year.

    More >>
  • Second suspect charged with murder in deadly shooting at Koyote Saloon

    Second suspect charged with murder in deadly shooting at Koyote Saloon

    Monday, June 18 2018 7:42 AM EDT2018-06-18 11:42:24 GMT
    Joey Lee Henry (Source: HCPD)Joey Lee Henry (Source: HCPD)

    A second suspect was arrested last week in connection to the deadly May 25 shooting at the Koyote Saloon, according to Cpt. John Harrelson with the Horry County Police Department. Joey Lee Henry, 30, of Green Sea, is charged with murder.

    More >>

    A second suspect was arrested last week in connection to the deadly May 25 shooting at the Koyote Saloon, according to Cpt. John Harrelson with the Horry County Police Department. Joey Lee Henry, 30, of Green Sea, is charged with murder.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly