DARLINGTON, SC (WMBF) – The Darlington County School District is offering district-wide Expanded School Choice for the 2015-2016 school year in an effort to give parents more control in the education process.
Any student in the Darlington County, regardless of whether that student is currently enrolled in a public school, a private school, or a home school, may request to attend any school in the county with the exception of Mayo High School.
Starting January 12, parents can submit Expanded School Choice application to the district. Applications will be available at all school, through the district's Office of Arts & Innovative Programs and online here. The last day to turn in applications is January 23.
On March 6, parents will be notified if the transfer was accepted and have two weeks to confirm their decision for their child to attend the choice school.
Under the Expanded Choice program:
• Choice selections will be based on space availability at the selected school.
• Student athletic eligibility remains under the SC High School League rules.
• Transportation will not be provided for Expanded School Choice. Parents and guardians are responsible for providing transportation.
• Once a child is selected to participate, Expanded Choice will remain in effect until the student completes his/her school of choice grade level.
• If a child moves into the county after the request period ends, the child must attend the school to which he/she is zoned. A parent can apply during the next choice cycle.
• It is not necessary for parents to complete an application for their child to attend the school for which they are already zoned and attending.