GEORGETOWN COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - A memorial service was held Tuesday for a member of the Georgetown K-9 unit that died after being injured in a fire.
"Blue" died Monday, January 12 after a fire broke out in the kennels over the weekend, said Carrie Cuthbertson with the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office.
During the blaze, Blue suffered extensive burns. He was taken to an emergency veterinary hospital in Mount Pleasant following the fire.
On Monday January 12, after extensive medical treatment, it was apparent Blue would not recover from injuries sustained in the fire and his condition continued to decline, Cuthbertson said.
"After consultation with the medical staff, the tough decision was made to euthanize Blue to alleviate any prolonged pain and suffering," the report states.
The funeral/memorial service for Blue was held on Tuesday, January 20 at 10:30 a.m. The service was held at the Georgetown County Sheriff's Office in Georgetown.
"He will be greatly missed," said GCSO investigator Jason Dozier at the memorial service. "We work with these dogs on a weekly basis, train them every week, week in and week out, rain or shine. So we will miss blue greatly, that is for sure."
Blue was a 1-year-old Bluetick-mixed tracking bloodhound who had been in training for seven months at the sheriff's office.
Regarding the fire, the kennels were recently renovated, officials said. The cause of the fire appeared to be accidental and electrical. One of the dogs chewed and exposed the wiring.