MBFD: Genco fire ruled 'accidental'

MBFD: Genco fire ruled 'accidental'

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Electrical issues have been named the cause for an early morning Myrtle Beach fire Saturday.

Based on the investigation by MBFR fire investigators and evidence found at the scene, it has been determined that the fire was accidental in nature, caused by electrical issues, the department said.

Myrtle Beach Fire Rescue and Horry County Fire Rescue responded to a massive fire at Genco Inc. around 1:45 a.m. A section of Highway 501 closed while crews worked to put out the fire.

Highway 501 from 3rd Avenue South to Canal Street was blocked for the majority of the day.

According to Chief Alvin Payne, a Myrtle Beach Fire Department firefighter was transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation, but was released and is expected to be okay. 

Genco Inc. is a janitorial company that sells cleaning supplies.

Copyright 2015 WMBF News. All rights reserved.