JOHNSONVILLE, SC (WMBF) – A structure fire is now contained after doing damage to a home in Johnsonville, fire officials confirmed.
A garage attached to a home on Vox Highway in Johnsonville caught fire Thursday afternoon, according to Florence County Fire Coordinator Sam Brockington.
Chief Vernon Tanner with the Johnsonville Fire Department believes a space heater that was being used to keep pipes warm caught fire, which then spread to the garage and attic. The majority of the damage was due to the smoke and water, Tanner said.
The Hannah-Salem Fire Department assisted the Johnsonville Fire Department in fighting this fire, which was under control about 2:40 p.m. Thursday, Brockington said.