SC (WMBF) – More home fires are caused by candles Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Year's Day, according to the National Fire Prevention Association.
More than half of the home candle fires occurred when some form of flammable material was too close to the candle. Unattended equipment or abandoned materials were contributing factors in nearly 20 percent of home candle fires, according to a report by the NFPA.
To raise awareness and protect against home candle fires, follow these guidelines, issued by fire safety experts.
- Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
- Never leave a burning candle unattended. Blow out candles when you leave a room.
- Keep candles up high out of the reach of children. Never leave a child unattended in a room with a candle. A child should not sleep in a room with a lit candle.
- Candles should fit in the holders securely and holders should be made from material that can't burn.
- Make sure candles are placed on a stable piece of furniture in sturdy holders that won't tip over. Place candles away from spots where they could be knocked over by children or pets.
- Extinguish all candles before going to sleep.