On Wednesday, October 8, students and parents throughout the state of South Carolina will walk and bicycle to school in honor of International Walk to School Day.
This event is an international effort to encourage families to consider getting out of the car and walking to school. Walk to School Day celebrates the benefits of safely walking and bicycling to school.
"Walk to School Day is a chance for families and schools to come together to promote safe walking and bicycling in their communities," said Lauren Marchetti, director of the National Center for Safe Routes to School.
Walk to School Day began in 1997 with one school. In 2013, a record was set when 4,392 events were registered. There are over 40 participating countries and thousands of students in the United States who will participate this year.
Local participating schools are listed below.
· Conway Elementary- Conway, SC
· Horry County Parks and Recreation- Conway, SC
· East Elementary School- Dillon, SC
· Briggs Elementary School- Florence, SC
· Lucy T. Davis Elementary School- Florence, SC
· North Vista Elementary School- Florence, SC
· Southside Middle School- Florence, SC
· Wallace Gregg Elementary School- Florence, SC
· Kensington Elementary School- Georgetown, SC
· McDonald Elementary School- Georgetown, SC
· Carolina Elementary School-Hartsville, SC
· North Myrtle Beach Elementary School- Little River, SC
· Riverside Elementary School- Little River, SC
· Ocean Drive Elementary School- North Myrtle Beach, SC
· Hannah-Pamplico Elementary/Middle School- Pamplico, SC
To register or track the names and locations of participating schools in the US, visit http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/.