DARLINGTON COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - Kathryn Wright was named the Darlington County School District's 2014-2015 District Teacher of the Year at the district's annual Teacher of the Year banquet.
On Wednesday night, the exceptional education teacher at Brunson-Dargan Elementary School was chosen over four other finalists, otherwise known as "Honor Roll Teachers" for the award. Nominees for this award undergo a competitive selection process that includes interviews and a video tape review of classroom skills. The Darlington County School District Teacher of the Year program honors and awards teachers who exceed expectations to provide meaningful and rewarding learning experiences.
Below is a list of Honor Roll Teachers:
· Mr. Al Gray, agriculture mechanics and horticulture teacher at the Darlington County Institute of Technology.
· Mrs. Mindy Kimrey, English/Language Arts teacher at Darlington High School.
· Mr. Cole Davis, the band and choral director at Mayo High School for Math, Science & Technology
· Ms. Deborah Slone, art teacher at St. John's Elementary School.
The 2014-2015 School Teachers of the Year are listed below:
· Jennifer Jackson, Brockington Elementary Magnet School
· Kathryn Wright, Brunson-Dargan Elementary School
· Saundra Pauley-Price, Cain Elementary School
· Mary Morrison, Carolina Elementary School
· Al Gray, Darlington County Institute of Technology
· Debra Williams, Darlington County Intervention School
· Mindy Kimrey, Darlington High School
· Joceline Bailey-Murdock, Darlington Middle School
· Matthew Nelson, Hartsville High School
· L. "Shemel" Thomas, Hartsville Middle School
· Kenyatta Peterson, Lamar Elementary School
· Luke Bolton, Lamar High School
· Cole Davis, Mayo High School for Math, Science & Technology
· Shakia Mitchell-Days, North Hartsville Elementary School
· Irby DuBose, Pate Elementary School
· Sequana Phillips, Rosenwald Elementary/Middle School
· Nancy Williamson, Southside Early Childhood Center
· Dawn Dover, Spaulding Elementary School
· Joycelyn Jeffcoat, Spaulding Middle School
· Deborah Slone, St. John's Elementary School
· Brandy Benjamin, Thornwell School for the Arts
· Stacey Bannister, Washington Street Elementary
· Pierre Brown, West Hartsville Elementary
Wright received a Bachelor of Sports Science and a Masters of Arts in Special Education from the University of the Philippines. She has been teaching for more than 16 years. Wright was an Assistant Professor at the University of the Philippines, a preschool teacher, a physical education instructor, and a community recreation program instructor. For the past nine years she's been a part of the Brunson-Dargan Elementary School staff in Darlington. Wright also serves as the Collaboration Tuesday Facilitator and mentor to a first-year teacher.
Now that she has received this honor, Wright will serve as the District's Teacher Forum chair-elect, work with the Superintendent and administrative staff on teacher-related issues, represent Darlington County teachers on local and state committees, and represent the district at State Teacher Forum functions throughout the year. Wright will also go on to compete for the South Carolina Teacher of the Year title.
The district's Teacher of the Year was not the only award given, Jane Patrick was chosen as the Darlington County School District's Outstanding First Year Teacher. Patrick is an English teacher from Mayo High School for Math, Science & Technology. Patrick will be a member of the Darlington County Leadership Council and the Darlington County Teacher Forum.