MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – The downtown area in most communities is the center of all things fun, shopping, food, and entertainment. However, Myrtle Beach suffered a run down city center with no way to attract visitors to that area.
The Myrtle Beach Boardwalk has been rated as one of the top 10 best boardwalks in America, according to National Geographic.
Covering 1.2 miles of Myrtle Beach, the boardwalk is the center of town activity. With live entertainment each summer evening, roaming stilt walkers, jugglers, stores, restaurants and bars, and a weekly fireworks display, there is always something to do for people of all ages.
"The Myrtle Beach Boardwalk has truly become an iconic attraction along the Grand Strand," said Brad Dean, president and CEO of the Myrtle Beach Area Chamber of Commerce. "The concerts, restaurants, shops, arcades and throngs of visitors illustrate that investing in this stunning walkway was an important step in the Myrtle Beach area's continued evolution into a world-class beach destination."
A survey has been issued by the Myrtle Beach Downtown Redevelopment Corporation for the public to rate their experience of the boardwalk.
The DRC says the purpose of the survey is to gather information for branding the boardwalk area. They say they intend to use the feedback to make changes.
The survey takes about five minutes to complete and is encouraged by the DRC for visitors and locals to take it. Click the link here to complete the survey.
Below are the top 10 best boardwalks in the U.S., according to National Geographic:
1. Atlantic City Boardwalk – Atlantic City, N.J.
2. Coney Island Boardwalk – Brooklyn, N.Y..
3. Myrtle Beach Boardwalk – Myrtle Beach, S.C.
4. Ocean City Boardwalk – Ocean City, Md.
5. Ocean Front Walk – Venice Beach, Calif..
6. Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk – Rehoboth Beach, Del.
7. Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk – Santa Cruz, Calif.
8. Sandwich Boardwalk – Sandwich, Mass.
9. Virginia Beach Boardwalk – Virginia Beach, Va.
10. Wildwoods Boardwalk – Wildwoods, N.J.