HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - It seems like they just got out of school for the summer, but parents, it's already time to start back to school shopping for your kids. And this weekend, a number of items they'll need will be exempt in Tax Free Weekend.
Exempt items according to sctax.org include:
- Clothing Accessories, including hats, scarves, hosiery and handbags.
- School supplies.
- Computers, printers and printer supplies, and computer software.
- Bath wash clothes, blankets, bed spreads, bed linens, sheet sets, comforter sets, bath towels, shower curtains, bath rugs and mats, pillows and pillow cases.
Some of the more unusual items that fall more unexpectedly under the umbrella of exempt items include baby diapers, adult diapers, aprons, bridal gowns, corsets, costumes, ice skates, and lingerie.
Items that will not be exempt during Tax Free Weekend include:
- Jewelry, cosmetics, eyewear, wallets, watches.
- Furniture, including mattress and box springs.
- Sale of an item placed on layaway or similar deferred payment.
- Rental of clothing or footwear.
- Cell phones, smartphone's, digital cameras and music players.
- Houseware and cookware.
- Sporting equipment like baseball mitts, golf clubs, helmets, hockey mitts, life jackets, etc.
- Bathroom supplies like soap, shower curtain rods, toothbrush holders, toilet paper, wastebaskets.
Tax Free Weekend was repealed in North Carolina for 2014, so residents who need to make purchases may want to shop in South Carolina.
There is an extensive list of items that can and cannot be purchased here: http://www.sctax.org/NR/rdonlyres/45D2A22E-7E52-4153-9782-7EE4B262A844/0/RR107.pdf.