CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - Conway Medical Center has posted the August 2014 calendar of events. From Childbirth classes to Blood drives, they've got it. CMC is offering a variety of events and classes to ensure that patients are educated about their health and wellness.
All classes and events held at Conway Medical Center are listed below:
• BirthPlace Tours are held every Sunday at 2 p.m. and are conducted by dedicated staff; registration is requested if at all possible. Your family is welcome to attend with you and see firsthand what we have to offer! Contact Number- 843-347-8108
• Childbirth Class- August 23, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Conway Medical Center holds childbirth classes every month on specific Saturdays. You should begin your childbirth classes during your 7th or 8th month of pregnancy. Class content will include anatomy/physiology, stages of labor, pain management, breathing/relaxation techniques, postpartum care, breastfeeding, and newborn topics. Contact Number- 843-347-8108
• Breastfeeding Class –August 12, 7-9 p.m. All classes are held monthly in Private Dining Room #2 located in the hospital and are free of charge. Taught by a registered nurse who is also a Lactation Consultant, classes are open to those expecting as well as those who have already delivered their baby. Babies and a partner are welcome to attend!
Contact Number- 843-347-8108
• Breast Cancer Support Group – August 12, 5:30 p.m. "Lymphedema: What Every Breast Cancer Survivor Needs to Know" presented by Tom Kincheloe, Founder and Owner of Rivertown Lymphedema Clinic and rehab, LLC, held at CMC Administrative Services Building Auditorium. Dinner will be served. Contact Number- 843-234-7309
• Diabetes Support Group- August 25, 6 p.m. "Diabetes and Weight Loss: Tips for Success," presented by Carolyn Bethea, MS, RD, CDE. Held in CMC Nursing Classroom.
Contact Number 843-347-8013
• ** NEW** A.W.A.K.E. Sleep Disorders Support Group- August 19, 5:30 p.m. "Good Sleep Hygiene" presented by Dr. Hafez Hayek. This group is for those who suffer from sleep apnea and its purpose is to give them the tools to manage their own health successfully. Held in Private Dining Room #2.Contact Number 843-234-5166
• Joint Replacement Seminar –August 20, 12 p.m. Join us for a free seminar on the latest advances in joint replacement including the anterior approach to hip replacement. Fellowship trained surgeons will discuss treatment options as well as answer any questions you may have. A complimentary lunch will be served, Presented by Dr. Todd Tupis at CMC Auditorium.
Contact Number- 843-347-8108
• Weight Loss Support Group –August 19, 6:30 p.m. "Cooking Demonstration" at CMC Auditorium Contact Number- 843-234-6686
• Thyroid Screening- August 12, 1-4 p.m. at Miller-Motte Technical College Health Fair. CMC's Healthreach will offer thyroid screenings testing TSH level. Cost is $20.
Contact Number- 843-234-5019.
• AARP Smart Driver – August 19, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Conway Medical Center has joined with the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) to offer a Smart Driver course. This six-hour refresher course, taught in one six-hour class, is designed especially to meet the needs of drivers 50 years of age or older. Contact Number- 843-347-8108
• American Red Cross Blood Drive –August 29, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Held in the private dining rooms across from the cafeteria. Contact Number- 843-347-8035
• Zooomer Bootcamp- August 4-29, Mondays & Fridays at 11 a.m.-12 p.m. This class is made specifically for "Zoomers" (active Baby Boomers). Get more out of life with increased strength and endurance, flexibility, coordination, agility and power! Short cardio drills, training stations to power up with strength and stretch routines combined with ongoing support for overall wellness! An ideal opportunity for anyone 40+ to get fit and have fun. Cost- $80 for members and $120 for community. Contact Number- 843-347-1515
• Swim Lessons at CMC Wellness & Fitness Center
Weekday Sessions- August 4-21
Tadpoles: 4:30-5 p.m.
Angelfish: 5-5:45 p.m.
Barracudas: 4-4:45 p.m.
Minnows: 4:45-5:30 p.m.
Saturday Sessions- August 9-September 13
Adults- 8-8:45 a.m.
Tadpoles- 10-10:30 a.m.
Angelfish- 10:30-11:15 a.m.
Barracudas- 10:30-11:15 a.m.
Minnows- 11:15 a.m.-12 p.m.
Tadpoles- Parent/Infant (6-36 months)
This class is designed to prepare infants and young children to become comfortable in the water so they can become ready to learn how to swim! Parents will learn fun and safe ways to introduce their child to the water!
Angelfish (3 & 4 years)
This class is designed to help children explore the water by learning how to float and submerge head by developing confidence in the water.
Barracudas (4 & 5 years)
This class builds upon the skills learned in the previous angelfish class by learning how to add arm and leg action in your stroke.
Minnows (6 years & up)
This class helps students experience independence in developing their skills.
Adults (15 years & up)
This class is for any level to either improve strokes or learn basic swimming skills.
In addition to educational opportunities, Conway Medical Center offers health reach mobile services. Times and Locations for the services are as follows:
August 5, 9-11 a.m. – North Strand Senior Center, 2309 Watertower Rd. Longs, 29568
August 6, 8:30-10:30 a.m. – Bucksport Senior Center, 8879 Henrietta Bluffs Conway, 29527
August 7, 9-11 a.m. –Aynor Senior Center, 845 North Main St. Aynor 29511
August 12, 7:30-9:30 a.m., Lipid Panel & 1-4 p.m. Thyroid Screening – Miller-Motte Technical College, 2451 US 501 Easy, Conway, 29526
August 14, 9-11 a.m. – Carolina Forest Senior Center, 121 Gateway Dr. Myrtle Beach, 29579
August 15, 9-11 a.m. – Green Sea Senior Center, 5269 Hwy 9 Nichols, 29581
August 19, 9-11 a.m. – Conway Senior Center, 1519 Mill Pond Rd. Conway, 29527
August 22, 8:30-10:30 a.m. – Burgess Senior Center, 10299 Hwy 707, Myrtle Beach, 29588
August 27, 9-11 a.m. – Loris Senior Center, 4214 Railroad Ave. Loris, 29569
August 28, 9-11 a.m. – Grand Strand Senior Center, 1268 21st Ave. N. Myrtle Beach, 29577
August 29, 9-11 a.m. – South Strand Senior Center, 1032 10th Ave. N. Surfside Beach, 29575
All screenings are free. For more information, call 843-347-8068 or 843-234-5019.