MARION, SC (WMBF) - A North Carolina man, stealing copper, died as result of the burns from the electric shock, according to Marion County Coroner Jerry Richardson.
Robert Wayne Wallace, 35, of Lumberton died at an Augusta, GA burn center Tuesday, July 15.
The incident happened Monday morning at Marion's Heritage building around 1:30 to 2 a.m. The thief was working around a primary wire to the building when a metal ladder came in contact with the transformers to the building. There were 13,000 volts per transformer, and three of them were near each other, arched across each. There was also a small fire around him that needed to be put out, but burns were caused by the shock.
The culprit was found on top of the roof of the building and the fire department had to wait until Progress Energy confirmed that the area was safe, before EMS could rescue him.
The man was treated for third-degree burns that covered 80 percent of his body. Most of the city of Marion was without electricity for about an hour.
According to Coroner Richardson, the body has been transferred to a funeral home in North Carolina.