Gov. Haley tours PTR Industries, accepts new SC rifle - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Gov. Haley tours PTR Industries, accepts new SC rifle

Posted: Updated:
Gov. Haley was asked about accepting a rifle after calling for an end to Bikefest due to gun violence. (Source: Michael Walter) Gov. Haley was asked about accepting a rifle after calling for an end to Bikefest due to gun violence. (Source: Michael Walter)
Source: PTR Industries on Facebook Source: PTR Industries on Facebook

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - PTR Industries is creating a specially-made gun to showcase South Carolina's support for the gun industry. The Aynor company puts the area on the map as a target area for other gun manufacturers, showing it can all be done here.

On Monday, Governor Nikki Haley toured the Aynor facility and received a specially-made rifle from the company. During a media briefing, she was asked about accepting a gun and promoting the industry just weeks after calling for an end to Bikefest because of the gun violence during that weekend. She responded that South Carolina is a second-amendment state, and people will find guns if they want them.

PTR Industries prides itself on being the first 100 percent South Carolina-based gun plant, with 80 percent of the gun being made in the Aynor facility. The remaining 20 percent of the gun parts that aren't made locally come from other areas of the state, expanding the impact on the economy. When PTR made the move to Horry County, the impact was undeniable: it brought new people to the area and generated more higher-wage jobs for locals.

It's also making Horry County a hub for manufacturing. Since PTR started a little more than a year ago, Horry County is now in the crosshairs of other gun companies, like the Ithaca Gun Company, which decided to move to the area next door.

Horry County Councilman and PTR Industries Purchasing Manager Bob Grabowski believes this is the beginning of a movement.

"Once they see the welcome that PTR has received in South Carolina, I'm sure it will definitely be favorable to SC for other companies considering moving from their state to any other state," said Grabowski. "I'm sure South Carolina will definitely be on the top of their list."

With the first year of business under its belt, PTR is pleased with where business is headed. Grabowski says this could also bring in other spin off industries for guns and even other industries as a whole.

Copyright 2014 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

918 Frontage Road East
Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
(843) 839-9623
news@wmbfnews.com

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WMBF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.