FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - Prom season is right around the corner for the students in our area. Efforts from county officials and leaders to educate students about the dangers of underage drinking are in full force. Prom enforcement, including a "Don't Let Underage Drinking Ruin your Prom" campaign is one of various attempts to prevent students from drinking alcohol.
In addition, officers of the Florence County Sheriff's Department are urging teens to follow basic safety tips on prom night, according to Sheriff Kenney Boone.
TIPS FOR TEENS
• Whether you like it or not, underage drinking is illegal, even on Prom Night. It can lead to arrest, injury or worse. FCSO will strictly enforce these laws.
• Don't get into any vehicle where anyone has been drinking, taking drugs or has a weapon.
• Don't let a friend drive or get into a vehicle where the operator has been drinking.
• Don't accept drinks from anyone you don't know. If you leave your drink, discard it and get a new one.
• Know where you are and where you are going at all times and let your parents know of any change in previously agreed upon plans.
• Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable or endangered, leave immediately and call for help.
Florence County Coalition for Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Prevention, Circle Park Behavioral Health Services and the 12th Judicial Circuit Alcohol Enforcement Team will meet Tuesday, March 25 at the Florence Country Club in Florence, to hold a press conference on prom enforcement.