DARLINGTON COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – A man has been arrested for arson in connection with a fire at a Darlington garage Monday morning.
Arthur Jeffery Repoley Jr. was arrested for third-degree arson on Thursday, March 20, by Darlington City Police Department for the fire at Joe's Garage on 401 South Main Street, according to Darlington City Police public information officer Kimberly Nelson. Repoley was an employee of the shop.
Darlington City Fire crews were able to quickly put out the fire at the Darlington auto body shop, but the building is likely a total loss, said Fire Chief Pat Cavanaugh.
At about 10 a.m., the department received a call about a fire at the shop, located on the corner of South Main Street and Avenue A. Chief Cavanaugh originally reported that apparently someone doing work inside the building spilled gasoline on an electrical light and lit it off.
Seven fire units from the Darlington City Fire Department responded and had the fire under control within about 14 minutes. Cavanaugh said the department "had enough people in the right time." However, the building is probably a total loss, Cavanaugh said, and five vehicles inside sustained damage from the fire.
Crews from palmetto Rural Fire Department and Darlington County Fire also responded to assist.
The incident was investigated by the Darlington City Fire Department, Police Department and South Carolina Law Enforcement Division. As a result of the investigation, Repoley Jr. was arrested on arson charges.