MARION COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - Tuesday Governor Nikki Haley sent her request to President Barack Obama to help with the storm recovery efforts. Twenty-one counties in the Palmetto State are still picking up after two harsh rounds of winter weather.
If the proposal from Haley does get approved no less than 75 percent would be reimbursed to the county's for the cost of their clean up efforts so far. The county would be responsible for up to 25 percent on their own.
When traveling through Marion County the bulk of the storm debris has been collected, but a large amount is still visible.
Marion County Emergency Management Director, Brandon Ellis, said the debris removal operations in the country are still in full swing. Crews with the county and FEMA are picking up debris along the state and county roads.
Ellis said the county storm removal cost so far has been 320,000 dollars, and that's a number that's expected to rise since Ellis estimates about a month left in work still to do.
The Marion County Department of Transportation has been working closely with FEMA workers to get the problem areas in the county taken care of, "We give them maps and mark the trouble areas and if we get calls and need assistance in another area they can come to us at any time."
According to Floyd, the DOT and FEMA have removed 100,000 cubic yards of storm debris. Floyd said if the money isn't approved federally the county's would more than likely have to foot the bill, "It's really important because once that budget is gone we don't have any more money to work with anything we can get in from the outside is an asset."
The other counties included in the Governor's proposal in our viewing area are Dillon, Florence, Georgetown, and Horry counties.