Charges still pending for man involved in standoff -, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Police press charges against man involved in standoff

Source: Horry County Police Source: Horry County Police
Source: Dustin Ivy Source: Dustin Ivy
SWAT member on scene (Source: WMBF News Reporter Will Whitson) SWAT member on scene (Source: WMBF News Reporter Will Whitson)
Walter Lynde (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center) Walter Lynde (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - Nearly 16 hours after police responded to a domestic dispute on Hunting Bow Trail, a man that had barricaded himself in his home with firearms has been taken into custody.

On Tuesday, 46-year-old Walter Lynde was charged with third degree arson, criminal domestic violence of a high and aggravated nature, and resisting arrest with a deadly weapon.

Lieutenant Robert Kegler with the Horry County Police force confirmed the situation started shortly after midnight on Monday. A woman was able to flee from the house on Hunting Bow Trail near Forestbrook Road, but the man barricaded himself inside.

At approximately 3:20 p.m. Monday, there were several loud noises that sounded like guns shots. Lt. Kegler said the noise was part of a SWAT tactic that resulted into Lynde's arrest.

Kegler added that Lynde set the home on fire before being taken into custody. 

"The incident on Hunting Bow Trail has ended with Walter Lynde in custody. During negotiations, Lynde became increasingly agitated and hostile, showing Officers on the perimeter his weapons. Given this along with the time of day, school traffic and the possibility of children at home alone, the decision was made to utilize tactical methods to coerce the suspect from the home. He was taken into custody. Charges are pending on him from Horry County. In addition to today's incident, he was also wanted by Myrtle Beach Police Department for Criminal Domestic Violence," a post on the Horry County Police Department's Facebook page read.

Earlier in the day, the scene was crawling with Myrtle Beach Police Department's SWAT team, detectives, a negotiating team and Horry County Police.

Warrants for the charges against Walter Lynde detail what happened when police arrived at the home shortly after midnight.

They state that officers could hear Lynde and the victim arguing in the home. Lynde allegedly grabbed the victim while holding a gun in his hand and pointed it at her before pushed her out of the house, and making her fall to the ground.

Lynde was observed going into the garage where he loaded another long gun, the warrants state. Lynde then told officers outside that they would have to come into the home to get him and he came to the front door multiple times making attempts to entice them to come in the home while he was holding a semi-automatic hand gun.

The warrants mention that Lynde attempted to set fire to a coach four times causing damage to the inside of the home. A K9 detected the presence of an accelerant on the floor of the living room and the couch.

Several neighbors had to be evacuated by law enforcement and bus routes were interrupted during this standoff. Police sent a code red alert message to residents in the area to alert them that police were in the neighborhood, the situation was under control and they were not in danger.

A neighbor who spoke to WMBF News said police crews left the neighborhood late Monday evening.

Copyright 2014 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly