MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - The Red Cross has opened several emergency shelters in the Pee Dee that will stay open as long as there is a need.
Shelters announced by the Red Cross are located:
- Beach Church, 557 George Bishop Parkway, Myrtle Beach
- Conway Rec Center, 1515 Mill Pond Road, Conway
- Darlington Middle School, 150 Pinedale Street, Darlington
- Dillon High School, 1730 Highway 301 North, Dillon
- Lake City High School, 652 North Matthews Road, Lake City
- Marion High School, 1205 South Marion Street, Marion
- South Florence High School, 3200 S. Irby Street, Florence
"The Red Cross encourages anyone coming to an emergency shelter to bring the following items for each member of their family: prescription and emergency medications, extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies, and other comfort items," according to a news release. "It's also important not to forget special items for children, such as diapers, formula and toys, and other items for family members who have unique needs."
As of Thursday morning, there were about 35 people at the shelter in Marion, and that shelter is expecting more people Thursday night.
The Red Cross is encouraging those in need to download the Red Cross Shelter Finder App for iOS devices to help find shelters in their area. The app also includes useful and potentially life-saving tips, such as how to treat hypothermia.
More info about the app here:
If you want to help, you can also download the "Team Red Cross" app for iOS and Android, which will allow you to coordinate volunteer efforts and provide the help the community needs.
More info about that app here: