HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - Presidents' Day is a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents past and present, this year it will fall on Monday, February 17. Below is a quick list of what businesses will be open or closed during the holiday.
Presidents' Day was originally established in 1885 in recognition of President George Washington, even though his actual birthday is February 22. The holiday became popularly known as Presidents' Day after it was moved as part of 1971's Uniform Monday Holiday Act, an attempt to create more three-day weekends for the nation's workers. Check out History.com to learn more about Presidents' Day.
In recognition of the holiday most government offices will be closed: federal, state and local government offices.
• Post offices will be closed and mail will not be delivered on Presidents' Day.
• Most public buildings, such as libraries, are closed or may be open only for limited hours.
• Most banks will be closed in recognition of the holiday.
• Schools will be closed. This includes primary schools, high schools, colleges, and universities.
• Most shopping malls and shopping centers will be open normal hours. Several stores will be featuring Presidents Day sales with discounts, special promotions, and coupon deals.
• Your favorite bars and restaurants will likely be open normal hours with Presidents' Day food and drink specials.
• Many movie theaters and cinemas are open. Presidents' Day is a big movie day. Some theaters offer additional early and/or late showings on this day.
• Trash and garbage collection will proceed on normal schedule in most areas.
• The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles will be closed on Monday in observance of the Presidents' Day state holiday. Please remember that the days before and after a holiday are often extremely busy at DMV.
Enjoy your holiday!