HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – The Palmetto Region Red Cross says since January 1, they have responded to 36 home fires and assisted 126 people.
They released some tips in an effort to educate and hopefully prevent these types of fires.
- Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
- If you are using a space heater, place it on a level, hard surface and keep anything flammable at least three feet away – things such as paper, clothing, bedding, curtains or rugs. Turn off space heaters and make sure fireplace embers are out before leaving the room or going to bed.
- If you are using a fireplace, use a glass or metal fire screen large enough to catch sparks and rolling logs.
- Use generators correctly – never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.
To prevent kitchen fires remember the following:
- Check food regularly while cooking and remain in the home while cooking. Use a timer as a reminder that the stove or oven is on.
- Enforce a "kid-free zone" in the cooking area and make children stay at least three feet away from the stove.
- Keep anything that can catch fire away from the stove, oven or any appliance in the kitchen that generates heat.
- Clean cooking surfaces on a regular basis to prevent grease buildup.
- Purchase a fire extinguisher to keep in the kitchen. Contact the local fire department to receive training on the proper use of extinguishers.
The American Red Cross also has an app that gives information on handling the most common first aid emergencies. The app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store and also Google Play Store for Android users. Visit redcross.org/mobileapps to learn more.