HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - When disaster hits, it's important to be prepared. Emergency Management leaders met at the Area Business Disaster Recovery Symposium at the Myrtle Beach Convention Center Friday, to discuss how to deal with weather related issues.
Rob O'Brian, Joplin Chamber of Commerce, presented his personal experience of recovery efforts in his home town, in Missouri, following an F-5 Tornado.
Horry County is no stranger to disaster which is why officials say preparation is important. It is also crucial to know, how individuals and businesses can bounce back.
"Part of our goal is to make sure we know that when disasters happen we need to stabilize the event and get the disaster to stop and then get that economic engine running again, and this symposium is all about ways to do that for local businesses," says Randy Webster, Director of Horry County Emergency Management.
Discussion topics at the symposium ranged from financial assistance and insurance to the benefit of communication through social media platforms. The goal of the event is to focus on ways local businesses, individuals and the community as a whole, can be prepared for the future.
From the days events, Red Cross officials are taking away the importance of individual preparedness.
"if you're individually prepared for a disaster, you're ready right now to go help the community. That's what we need our community residents to gain from this," says Red Cross Manager of Disaster Services Louis Palm.
One way people can be ready is by always staying informed. The Red Cross has several free Smart Phone app's that help in finding shelters and preparing for disasters such as hurricanes and wildfires.
The app's attach to social media, so if you were stuck in a disaster, with just one click of the "I'm safe," icon, you can let your connections such as Facebook friends and cell phone contacts, know you're ok.
The symposium agenda, is as follows:
- Recovering from an F-5 Tornado, which will be presented by Rob O' Brain, Joplin Chamber of Commerce.
- Preparing Your Business for the Unexpected: Presented by Horry County Emergency Management and National Disaster Preparedness Training Center
- What Financial Assistance is available: Presented by SC Emergency Management, AON Insurance, SBA, and FEMA.
- Getting back in Business (Building Permits and Business Licenses) : Presented by The cities of Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Horry County and SCDHEC Office of Ocean and Coastal Resource Management
- Communicating Before and After: Presented by Cities of Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach, North Myrtle Beach, and Horry County SC Department of Transportation and the area recovery council
- Building Business Community Resiliency: Presented by Bonnie Canal, The Resiliency Institute LLC