Firefighters extinguish fire at Florence home

FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) – Florence firefighters responded to a fire at a residence in the 400 block of Railroad Ave. just before 4 a.m. Friday morning.

Command and firefighters immediately began to search the home and extinguish the fire, which was confined to the kitchen area, stated Florence Fire Marshal Ken Carr. The fire appeared to start in a wall near a water heater in the kitchen area.

No residents were injured, but one firefighter was taken to a nearby hospital for observation.

"The Florence Fire Department wants to remind all residents to check and make sure they have batteries in their smoke alarms," Carr stated. "It is recommended that you change the batteries twice a year. A good rule of thumb is, when you change your clocks in the spring and fall change the batteries in your smoke alarms."

Copyright 2013 WMBF News. All rights reserved.