Students return to NMB Primary School after being rerouted due to smoke

Source: Drew Hanson
Source: Drew Hanson

NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – The fire department has given the all clear at North Myrtle Beach Primary School Tuesday morning after students were rerouted due to smoke in the building caused by the school's air handling system.

At around 7 a.m., just as the school began to open for the day, the staff noticed the smoke coming from one wing of the building, said Horry County Schools spokeswoman Teal Britton. There were no reports of flames seen – just smoke.

Principal Renea Fowler confirmed that there was a motor failure in a classroom's HVAC unit.

The staff was able to prevent students from coming inside the building, and they were rerouted to North Myrtle Beach Intermediate School.

The fire department and maintenance crews arrived on the scene, and worked to repair the air handling system and clear the building of smoke, Britton said.

The fire department gave the "all clear" and students were bussed back to NMB Primary from NMB Intermediate to resume their day. Overall, about 90 minutes of the school was day was interrupted.

Copyright 2013 WMBF News. All rights reserved.