Barnes & Noble at The Market Common to Host Discovery Friday on November 22
New York, New York - November 11, 2013 -Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE: BKS), one of the world's largest booksellers and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products, today announced the Barnes & Noble store in Myrtle Beach will host Discovery Friday on November 22, an all-day event created to serve as the official launch of the holiday shopping season and help customers experience the thrill of discovering the perfect gifts for friends and family.
On Discovery Friday, which falls exactly one week before Black Friday, Barnes & Noble at The Market Common will host fun and festive games, activities and giveaways, including Storytimes, plus exclusive in-store appearances by Rusty Ray (WBTW News), Ed Piotrowski (WPDE News), Abbi Neal (Wave 104.1 and Not The News) and Heather Biance (WMBF News). Customers can also enter for a chance to win a $1,000 Barnes & Noble shopping spree, with five lucky winners to be chosen from across the country. Our main focus will be on our Holiday Book Drive and Reach Out and Read. Each year we collect thousands of books through the generosity of our customers to give to Reach Out & Read, which supports and encourages literacy through local clinics.
"Barnes & Noble offers the ultimate holiday shopping experience for customers who enjoy the art of discovery and personalized service and recommendations from our knowledgeable booksellers," said Justin Jordan, Community Relations Manager. "Discovery Friday celebrates our customers by bringing the spirit of fun and discovery to their holiday shopping experience and offering them an incredible lineup of events and activities. We can't wait for shoppers to discover what we'll have in store on November 22. At the heart of it all is the opportunity to give back to our local community through our Holiday Book Drive. Thousands of kids throughout Horry County have benefited and continue to benefit through this great program."
In addition to the vast array of local activities, Discovery Friday will also feature great values to help customers get a jump on their holiday shopping. Special one-day NOOK® offers and Discovery Friday deals will be available in-store on November 22, and Barnes & Noble's thousands of knowledgeable booksellers will be on the front lines to offer shoppers complimentary gift advice and personalized picks for even the most difficult to buy for recipients on their holiday lists.
Discover Local In-Store Entertainment for the Whole Family
With something for all ages to enjoy, Discovery Friday brings holiday festivities to Barnes & Noble at The Market Common with a fantastic lineup of Storytimes, family games and other engaging activities and competitions. Special highlights include:
- Duck Dynasty cut-out beards photo station and giveaway
- Holiday-themed Storytimes featuring much-loved favorites at the following times:
- 10 a.m. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie with Rusty Ray (WBTW News)
- 2 p.m. The Day the Crayons Quit with Ed Piotrowski (WPDE News)
- 6 p.m. Pete the Cat & His Magical Sunglasses with Abbi Neal (Wave 104.1 & Not The News)
- 7 p.m. The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition with Heather Biance (WMBF News)
- Family-friendly games, including Lego Chima CHI Battles racing tournament and a Moleskine-sponsored "Every Reader is a Writer" activity
- Barnes & Noble Café games and puzzles available to play, featuring Scrabble, Rummy, Spades and many more. Customers will also receive a collectible toy with a Café purchase while supplies last.
- Activities for kids and teens featuring top books like The Heroes of Olympus series, Divergent series, The Fault in Our Stars The Fifth Wave and SparkNotes' popular No Fear Shakespeare series
FREE Gifts & Exclusive Content from Favorite Characters and Leading Partners
Available only on Discovery Friday, Barnes & Noble shoppers will discover a number of free gifts that feature the season's hottest entertainment and pop culture, favorite characters, beloved authors and more. Special giveaways include:
- Catching Fire (Hunger Games Series #2) temporary tattoos
- Harry Potter commemorative posters featuring 15th Anniversary edition cover art
- The Heroes of Olympus series and Divergent series posters and other collectible items
- The Book Thief discussion guide and enter-to-win movie posters
- Exclusive John Green titles collectible quote decals from The Fault in Our Stars
- Poster from Rick Yancey's The Fifth Wave series
- The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition coloring book and enter-to-win The Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition and The Elf on the Shelf: A Birthday Tradition
- Plus a selection of stickers, movie posters and more