LITTLE RIVER, SC (WMBF) - A service dog in the local veterans assistance organization 'Canine Angels' is recovering after being bitten by a venomous snake Monday morning.
Bobo's paw is swollen, but he is expected to fully recover from the bite that he sustained while walking with his handler and Canine Angels Service Dogs founder Rick Kaplan.
"Bobo was in immediate agony," says Kaplan who went on to describe what happened after the dog was bit. "His leg started to swell up and he started to loose consciousness; the fright of it all was overwhelming."
While walking in Vereen Park Monday, Bobo leaped into the air, yelping, said Kaplan who rushed him to the Grand Strand Animal Hospital, where the doctor was able to inject him with antibiotics, anti-venom, painkillers, and fluids.
The doctor tells us she has seen two copperhead snake bites in the last two days. A local snake chaser says it's unusual for copperheads to be about this time of year but that Monday's warm weather likely played a part.
Today, Bobo is back with the rest of the 'Canine Angels' pack and is expected to make a full recovery.