DARLINGTON, SC (WMBF) - A Darlington man accused of criminal sexual conduct with a female minor under the age of 16 has plead guilty to those charges. The crime took place in 2009, but charges weren't restored until last year when the Solicitor's Office in Darlington County was able to track down the victim.
Also in 2013, Tyrone Montgomery was charged with exposing himself and inappropriately touching five young children in broad daylight. WMBF News has learned those charges have been dismissed.
WMBF News Anchor Heather Biance was in the courtroom on November 13, 2013 when a grandmother of one of the alleged young victims announced she was dropping the charge against Tyrone Montgomery, adding that she didn't have a clear conscience moving forward with the charge after her grandchild changed their story.
The mother of one victim was still sure of the charges, even after another was backing down. She said, "My daughter told me the story, same story since that day. She ain't going to change it up. I know when my daughter lies to me; I know when she's not. And I know that when she came with me with that it was a fact."
Now that Montgomery has plead guilty to criminal sexual conduct with a minor for those charges filed in 2009, he will serve at least 85% of his 7 year prison sentence. At that time, it will be assessed whether he should be registered as a sex offender or sexual predator.
As for the charges filed in 2013, those charges have been dismissed.
A WMBF News investigation in 2013 detailed Montgomery's cases, including why he was able to walk free after the 2009 case. Watch Heather Biance's full report here: