LITTLE RIVER, SC (WMBF) – The family and friends of a woman injured in a home fire are coming together to help pay her medical bills.
Doug Cline, Assistant Fire Chief with Horry County Fire Rescue, said firefighters were dispatched to a town home in the 100 block of Parkway Lane, off Sea Mountain Highway, at about 8:18 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 24.
After they arrived, firefighters were able to rescue a woman from the home, and she was taken to the hospital. The fire was quickly contained to the first floor, but the second floor sustained heat and smoke damage.
That woman suffered critical burns and wounds to more than 30 percent of her body, and has been in the Burn Center at Doctor's Hospital in Augusta, GA since the fire.
Her friends are sponsoring a benefit to help with her medical bills on Saturday, Jan. 4 from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Highway 9 Bingo Plaza.
There will be live entertainment, BBQ plates for $8, a hair cut-a-thon, cake walk, raffle for gifts and a Chinese raffle.
Assistant Fire Chief Cline says the fire started in an electrical cord behind a couch in the living room.