Florida extradites sex assault suspect back to Horry Co.

Sachs arrested
The victim is this alleged crime spoke exclusively to WMBF News when Sachs was on the run.
The victim is this alleged crime spoke exclusively to WMBF News when Sachs was on the run.
John Howard Sachs (Source: Brevard County Jail)
John Howard Sachs (Source: Brevard County Jail)
John Howard Sachs (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)
John Howard Sachs (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - A Myrtle Beach man and the alleged owner of a gentleman's club in the Grand Strand was captured in Cocoa Beach, FL by the US Marshal Service. According to booking records, he has been extradited back to Horry County.

The former Myrtle Beach gentleman's club employee, 37-year-old John Howard Sachs, was wanted by Horry County Police on kidnapping and sexual assault charges after a victim came forward claiming he raped her.

"I went to the hospital as soon as I got out," said the victim. "I was pretty beat up."

The victim told Horry County Police detectives Sachs asked her to drive him home from the business he was alleged to own, the Chez Joey Gentleman's Club on Seaboard Street, to his home in Carolina Forest.

The victim said when they pulled up to the home, Sachs took her cell phone and keys, forced her inside the home, then raped her.

"This happens to anyone," she said. "I'm a straight A student. I'm not a bad person."

Horry County Police Sgt. Robert Kegler said two warrants were issued for Sachs on charges of kidnapping and criminal sexual conduct. However, Sachs was nowhere to be found. He wasn't in his club, and he was not at home when WMBF News stopped by.

That's when the US Marshals joined in the search for Sachs. But the victim said there's little solace in that news, because of what Sachs took away from her.

"It's not just people who put themselves in situations," she said. "It's not the dark parking lot. It's not that you got too drunk. It's not the victim's fault."

A representative for Chez Joey spoke to WMBF News, claiming a mistake on their business license led authorities to believe Mr. Sachs owned the club. But he has been terminated and no longer has any association with their business.

It is unknown if the information on the business license was accurate but authorities maintain the fact that Sachs is an owner of the club.

Brad Dorn, a spokesman for Operation Intercept – a US Marshal led fugitive task force in South Carolina – confirms Sachs was taken into custody in Florida on Tuesday, May 21.

He was taken to a jail in Brevard County and will be extradited to South Carolina to face charges. The Horry County Sheriff's Office will retrieve Sachs from Florida. After the order is given, they will have 10 days to pick him up.

"We will pick him up," said HCSO Sgt. Jeff Benton. "Our office will coordinate with the Solicitor's office to send a sheriff's deputy down there to pick him up."

Kelvin Washington, US Marshal for South Carolina, stated, "Mr. Sachs thought Florida would provide a safe haven for him on the run. Little did he know that the determination of law enforcement and dedication to the safety of the community would prevail to bring him to face justice."

Operation Intercept, in the Myrtle Beach area, consists of members of the US Marshals, Horry County Sheriff's Office, Myrtle Beach Police Department, Horry County Police Department and Surfside Police Department. The program has been in South Carolina since 1986, but a permanent Marshal team has only been in Horry County for a short amount of time.

"Back in 2011, we partnered with Horry County officials," said Marshal Washington. "We found we were doing a lot of work in Horry County, but we didn't have a team there."

John Sachs was extradited from Florida and back to Horry County. He was booked into J. Reuben Long Detention Center on June 16, and is expected back in court on October 4.

Copyright 2013 WMBF News. All rights reserved.