CENTRAL, SC (WYFF) - A Clemson student was found dead Wednesday morning, and a hazardous material crew was called in because the student "ingested some sort of substance," the police chief said.
Central Police Chief Kerry Avery said the student was found dead at The Summit at Cross Creek apartments in Central.
Avery said a Clemson University counselor called police at about 6:15 a.m. after receiving disturbing voicemails from the student. The counselor requested that police perform a welfare check.
The chief said the student's roommate led them to the locked room of the student. Officers forced entry into the room, and found the student dead.
Because information in the voicemails indicated the student ingested a potentially dangerous substance, the unit was closed off, and residents of other apartments were told to stay away. The roommate was being kept out of the apartment.
Avery said, "It could have been a very volatile situation. Things come in different forms -- liquid, solid, gas -- and if it would have been something that as airborne or a gas -- then you're looking at having to evacuate a real large area just to secure it off so there's nobody else that gets hurt."
Hazmat took samples that are being analyzed and an autopsy will be performed.
The identity of the student has not yet been released pending notification of the family.
The roommate said the deceased student was a material science and engineering student who just celebrated his 20th birthday last month. He said his roommate had good grades, and nothing had seemed out of the ordinary with him.
The Hazmat crew responded to the scene because police do not know what kind of substance they are dealing with.