Fewer fliers stranded inside airports - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Fewer fliers stranded inside airports

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Winter storms that slammed the northeast are still forcing airlines to cancel flights at airports in New York and Philadelphia on Thursday.

But some travel experts say in midst of the Holiday travel nightmare, there may actually be fewer fliers stranded inside of airports these days.

Myrtle Beach International Airport spokesperson Kirk Lovell says the airport's operation staff reported no issues as a result from Wednesday's canceled flights. The airport does not track the number of stranded fliers.

Karen Schafer says quick notifications from the airline Wednesday saved her a night at the airport's terminal after her flight to Charlotte was canceled.

"Then all the sudden I got a phone call and I got an email saying that my flight I had been canceled. Luckily," said Schafer.

Schafer signed up for the airline flight notification system. Many major airlines offer this service to fliers and it helps get the word to travelers sooner.

Some airlines incorporate a time frame to share flight status in their policy. According to Delta Airline's policy the airline will notify fliers of any changes to a flight status within 30 minutes the airlines becomes aware of it.  

This kind of immediacy gives travelers earlier cancellation notices, sometime even before heading to the airport. This also allows their booking process to start right away. The system is a service David Leatherman is very familiar with. Leatherman says it's especially helpful when there's stormy winter weather.

"With smart phones technology now, we've been getting updates. We're going to Philadelphia and we know we've been having snow, so we've been getting updates," said Leatherman.

Copyright 2012 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Tammy Moorer trial to go forward, motion to dismiss rejected

    Tammy Moorer trial to go forward, motion to dismiss rejected

    Friday, August 17 2018 10:01 PM EDT2018-08-18 02:01:41 GMT
    Tammy Moorer. (Source: JRLDC)Tammy Moorer. (Source: JRLDC)

    A judge has dismissed several motions filed by Tammy Moorer’s attorney ahead of her upcoming trial for kidnapping and conspiracy to commit kidnapping. She’s set to go before a judge and jury for the first time for her alleged involvement in Heather Elvis’s disappearance. The Socastee woman went missing in December 2013.  Tammy is scheduled to go to trial the week of October 8, 2018.  According to an order filed this week, Tammy’s attorney had ...

    More >>

    A judge has dismissed several motions filed by Tammy Moorer’s attorney ahead of her upcoming trial for kidnapping and conspiracy to commit kidnapping. She’s set to go before a judge and jury for the first time for her alleged involvement in Heather Elvis’s disappearance. The Socastee woman went missing in December 2013.  Tammy is scheduled to go to trial the week of October 8, 2018.  According to an order filed this week, Tammy’s attorney had ...

    More >>
  • Construction for Charlie's Place, Boys and Girls Club expected to start soon

    Construction for Charlie's Place, Boys and Girls Club expected to start soon

    Friday, August 17 2018 8:24 PM EDT2018-08-18 00:24:28 GMT
    The city says work for phase one is expected to start next week (Source: Marissa Tansino).The city says work for phase one is expected to start next week (Source: Marissa Tansino).

    Two new projects are coming to the Carver Street area. The new Boys and Girls Club between Carver Street and Dunbar Street and Charlie's Place construction is set to begin next week, according to city officials. "It's finally coming to be,” said Cookie Canty Goings about the improvements long awaited for in Charlie’s Place, "It has been a long time coming."

    More >>

    Two new projects are coming to the Carver Street area. The new Boys and Girls Club between Carver Street and Dunbar Street and Charlie's Place construction is set to begin next week, according to city officials. "It's finally coming to be,” said Cookie Canty Goings about the improvements long awaited for in Charlie’s Place, "It has been a long time coming."

    More >>
  • 92 people evicted after Florence motel shut down, deemed unsafe

    92 people evicted after Florence motel shut down, deemed unsafe

    Friday, August 17 2018 7:49 PM EDT2018-08-17 23:49:25 GMT
    Florence Lodge on South Irby Street. (Source: WMBF News)Florence Lodge on South Irby Street. (Source: WMBF News)
    Florence Lodge on South Irby Street. (Source: WMBF News)Florence Lodge on South Irby Street. (Source: WMBF News)

    FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - The Florence Lodge on South Irby Street was shut down following an inspection deeming it unsafe. Fire officials discovered a number of hazardous conditions potentially dangerous to occupants.

    More >>

    FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - The Florence Lodge on South Irby Street was shut down following an inspection deeming it unsafe. Fire officials discovered a number of hazardous conditions potentially dangerous to occupants.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly