Permits, gun checks on the rise - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Permits, gun checks on the rise

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) – The FBI tracks background checks performed for people purchasing a firearm, it's a federal requirement.

According to The National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or NICS website, the number of background checks performed in the United Sates has doubled over the last decade.

The numbers for South Carolina show the same upward trend.

Since 2002, NICS reports roughly 122,000 background checks. Since then, the number of checks has more than doubled. As of November this year there have been 265,000 checks.

These numbers don't represent actual gun purchases. Experts in the gun industry say these numbers do point in the direction of booming gun sales.

When it comes to the kind of guns people are buying and why, local gun shop owners say  most of their customers are buying guns for recreational use, like hunting. But, the top reason among buyers seems to be for self protection.

Horry County resident Jeff Cariggan said, "I feel like desperate times call for desperate measures. Even though it's just a gun, I mean you have to protect yourself. Things can happen at any given day. You never know when you might need it." Cariggan is one of thousands of South Carolinians who recently received his concealed weapons permit or CWP.

According to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division (SLED), just like firearm background checks, the number of active CWPs is climbing.

SLED is the government agency in charge of issuing a CWP.

According to the most recent stats, the number of active permits in the state increased six fold since 2006 when there were about 30,000 active CWPs.  Active permits include both renewals and new permits issued.

In South Carolina a CWP is valid for four years.

As of last Friday there are 185,012 active CWPs in South Carolina.

Copyright 2012 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Tammy Moorer trial to go forward, motion to dismiss rejected

    Tammy Moorer trial to go forward, motion to dismiss rejected

    Friday, August 17 2018 10:01 PM EDT2018-08-18 02:01:41 GMT
    Tammy Moorer. (Source: JRLDC)Tammy Moorer. (Source: JRLDC)

    A judge has dismissed several motions filed by Tammy Moorer’s attorney ahead of her upcoming trial for kidnapping and conspiracy to commit kidnapping. She’s set to go before a judge and jury for the first time for her alleged involvement in Heather Elvis’s disappearance. The Socastee woman went missing in December 2013.  Tammy is scheduled to go to trial the week of October 8, 2018.  According to an order filed this week, Tammy’s attorney had ...

    More >>

    A judge has dismissed several motions filed by Tammy Moorer’s attorney ahead of her upcoming trial for kidnapping and conspiracy to commit kidnapping. She’s set to go before a judge and jury for the first time for her alleged involvement in Heather Elvis’s disappearance. The Socastee woman went missing in December 2013.  Tammy is scheduled to go to trial the week of October 8, 2018.  According to an order filed this week, Tammy’s attorney had ...

    More >>
  • Construction for Charlie's Place, Boys and Girls Club expected to start soon

    Construction for Charlie's Place, Boys and Girls Club expected to start soon

    Friday, August 17 2018 8:24 PM EDT2018-08-18 00:24:28 GMT
    The city says work for phase one is expected to start next week (Source: Marissa Tansino).The city says work for phase one is expected to start next week (Source: Marissa Tansino).

    Two new projects are coming to the Carver Street area. The new Boys and Girls Club between Carver Street and Dunbar Street and Charlie's Place construction is set to begin next week, according to city officials. "It's finally coming to be,” said Cookie Canty Goings about the improvements long awaited for in Charlie’s Place, "It has been a long time coming."

    More >>

    Two new projects are coming to the Carver Street area. The new Boys and Girls Club between Carver Street and Dunbar Street and Charlie's Place construction is set to begin next week, according to city officials. "It's finally coming to be,” said Cookie Canty Goings about the improvements long awaited for in Charlie’s Place, "It has been a long time coming."

    More >>
  • 92 people evicted after Florence motel shut down, deemed unsafe

    92 people evicted after Florence motel shut down, deemed unsafe

    Friday, August 17 2018 7:49 PM EDT2018-08-17 23:49:25 GMT
    Florence Lodge on South Irby Street. (Source: WMBF News)Florence Lodge on South Irby Street. (Source: WMBF News)
    Florence Lodge on South Irby Street. (Source: WMBF News)Florence Lodge on South Irby Street. (Source: WMBF News)

    FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - The Florence Lodge on South Irby Street was shut down following an inspection deeming it unsafe. Fire officials discovered a number of hazardous conditions potentially dangerous to occupants.

    More >>

    FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - The Florence Lodge on South Irby Street was shut down following an inspection deeming it unsafe. Fire officials discovered a number of hazardous conditions potentially dangerous to occupants.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly