MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Fall is here and this cold snap should serve as a reminder to check your smoke detector and change the batteries.
Consider This: This is National Fire Prevention Week and officials remind us that the best thing you can do to protect your loved ones is to install a smoke alarm and develop and practice a fire escape plan.
Here are a few more safety tips from the American Red Cross:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of the house and inside bedrooms.
- Replace batteries in smoke alarms at least once a year. Test each alarm monthly.
- Make sure your family knows two ways to escape from every room and designate a place to meet outside of your house in case of a fire.
- Practice your plan at least twice a year.
- Follow your escape plan in case of fire. Get out, stay out, and call 9-1-1
Don't procrastinate, a working smoke detector can save your life; check yours today.