MULLINS, SC (WMBF) - The strong odor of spilled gasoline has sent students in Mullins High School home before the final bell is set to ring Tuesday.
Dan Strickland, Marion County Schools Superintendent, tells WMBF News that a school custodian accidentally tipped over a gallon sized container of gasoline near the air conditioning unit.
The fumes were dispersing throughout the school building, offending the senses of students and staff who were first evacuated to the football field and then brought back into the gymnasium.
No one was harmed but due to the smell, administration was worried people may start to feel ill.
Around 12:45 p.m. the administration chose to send staff and students home for the rest of the day, and they sent out a notification to parents to inform them of the early dismissal.
Superintendent Strickland says they expect the issue to be resolved and school to be back in session by Wednesday.