MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) — Some Myrtle Beach business owners say so far they are not worried about five apparent shark bites in one month in the area.
Just Tuesday, some people on the beach near 6th Avenue North thought there had been another shark bite to a 16-year-old boy's foot. However, a doctor said the wound on the boy appeared to be from a stingray barb.
Initial talk of a possible shark bite served as proof that many people are thinking about sharks after last week when four people were bitten in the same area at the same time by what was likely sharks. During the first weekend of June a young man was also bitten by what appeared to be a shark.
Nathan West who owns Airbrush 66 at 3rd Avenue South and Ocean Boulevard said a lot of people have heard about the bites. However, he said he thinks most people understand how rare a shark bite is.
"It's very unusual for us," West said. "This is very very rare for Myrtle Beach. I've been in business here for seven years and this is the first I've ever heard of something like that, especially in a close proximity."
Tom Osborne-Owens who owns Ali Baba Grill and Pizza restaurant said a lot of customers have talked about the shark bites. However, he was happy to report he does not think anyone is changing their vacation plans because of the bites.
"We've had a lot of conversations, more interesting and fun conversations. They're not taking it too serious but they are also aware of it," Osborne-Owens said. "I think a lot of people come here as a tradition. So I don't think rumors or talk of that is really going to deter them from it."