Glenn Bellamy pleads guilty to manslaughter for Conway shooting -, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Man charged with murder pleads guilty to manslaughter

Dustin Wilson (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center) Dustin Wilson (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)
Glenn Wendell Bellamy (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center) Glenn Wendell Bellamy (Source: J. Reuben Long Detention Center)

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - One of the two men arrested by Conway Police for a fatal shooting on Leonard Avenue has pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter.

Catina Hipp, spokeswoman for the Conway Police Department, say they charged 26-year-old Glenn Wendell Bellamy and 22-year-old Dustin Wilson, both of Conway, were arrested for the crime.

Bellamy was charged with murder, possession of a firearm by certain persons unlawful and possession of a weapon during the commission of a violent crime. Wilson has been charged with murder.

Hipp added that Bellamy and Wilson were taken into custody by Horry County Police following a traffic stop just a short distance from the crime scene.

Glenn Bellamy pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter on Jan. 6 and was sentenced to 15 years in prison. The case against Dustin Wilson is still pending.

According to Sgt. Selena Small, Conway Police responded to the shooting shortly after midnight on Tuesday, June 19, 2012. The shooting result in the death of a man identified by Deputy Coroner Duane Brown as 34-year-old Douglas L. Floyd.

An autopsy revealed Floyd died as a result of gunshot wounds, Brown said.

Floyd's family and friends are honoring his memory, saying he was a pillar of the community, and was killed trying to break up a fight.

"My son, he was a hero," said his mother, Frankie Floyd. "He loved people, he was trying to keep the peace."

His family says he made the ultimate sacrifice, leaving behind four daughters, and he had just learned he had one more child on the way.

"He just found out last week," said sister Nikki Brown. "He was so tickled, every father wants a son."

"Now the only think I can do is just love his kids," Frankie Floyd said. "I have to be the best grandma I can be for them."

Neighbors around Leonard Avenue say violent crime seems to be increasing in neighborhoods all over Conway. Two violent shooting crimes happened on Palmetto Street back in 2011, just a few blocks away from where Floyd died.

"Our church, we're trying to reach out to the community," said Barbara Dunn, she lives in the area and works at nearby Jamestown Baptist Church, which has outreach programs to those high crime neighborhoods. "These people have not been receptive."

Dunn says they send several groups out into the community to show they care and want to end violence, but have had difficulty building trust.

"They'll come when there's something free to give or free food," Dunn said. "But when you hand them a card to fill out their name so someone can call them, they don't want to do that."

Copyright 2014 WMBF News. All rights reserved.


More Crime on


Click for more mugshots See "Horry County's Most Wanted" More>>

Leonard Ave. shooting sidebar


SLIDESHOW - Click to view photos. More>>

Powered by Frankly