CONWAY, SC (WMBF) A student is in custody after a second bomb threat was reported at an Horry County middle school, two days in a row, according to police officials at the joint press conference with Horry County Schools Friday morning.
Saundra Rhodes, Interim Police Chief for Horry County Police Department, announced the bomb threat had been reported at Black Water Middle during a press conference at Carolina Forest High School, which was intended to tackle the bomb threat issues.
Rhodes told a WMBF News crew attending the press conference Friday morning that a juvenile student is already in custody in connection to this bomb threat.
Sgt. Robert Kegler, spokesperson for the Horry County Police Department, tells WMBF News that students were not evacuated from the school because Black Water Middle's school resource officer was able to quickly identify the student who made the threat, and that student admitted the threat was false.
Kegler added that four juvenile students are in custody in connection to Thursday's bomb threat at Black Water Middle School.
Friday's reported bomb threat is the 19th for Horry County Schools this school year. Horry County Schools and the Horry County Police Department released a public service announcement on the dangers and consequences of this crime Friday.
During the conference, school officials and police talked about possible solutions to end the threats.
Rhodes said the department is looking into fining parents of the children who commit the crime.
School officials also released two public service announcements that are intended to send a message to the community and the students that the threats must stop.
The PSAs will be shown at the schools in Horry County and was released to all media outlets.
View that PSA above, or on YouTube.
What do you think of the PSA? Do you think they'll be effective in stopping these threats? Let us know what you think on the WMBF News Facebook page.