CAROLINA FOREST, SC (WMBF) The two adult students arrested in relation to Wednesday's Carolina Forest High School bomb threat appeared in court Thursday afternoon, and were later released from jail.
Late Wednesday afternoon, Horry County Police arrested six students in connection to the bomb threat, and the names of the adult students have now been released.
Sgt. Robert Kegler with the Horry County Police Department says Lorenzo Terrell Green and Jason William Taylor, both 18 from Conway, were arrested Wednesday.
Green and Taylor were in court Thursday as a judge charged them each with one count of accessory after the fact of a felony. Both were granted a $2,500 bond and placed on a curfew of 11 p.m. by the judge.
According to online booking records from J. Reuben Long Detention Center, Green and Taylor were released from jail on bond at 9:30 p.m. and 7:58 p.m. respectively, Thursday night.
The four juveniles are being charged with conveying false information regarding attempted use of a destructive device.They will each appear before a family court judge in Horry County Friday morning at 9 a.m.
Earlier Wednesday, CFHS had to be evacuated because of the threat, the second at an Horry County school in two days.
According to Horry County Schools Spokesperson Teal Britton, on Wednesday morning a note was discovered inside Carolina Forest High School threatening a bomb would go off at 10:45 a.m.
Students were evacuated, and Horry County Police and the Bomb Squad were called to the school to clear the facility. Britton adds that the campus had been secured, and at 11:21 a.m., students were in the process of returning to class and resuming their regular schedule.
Britton says nothing was found in the building during the search of the school and surrounding property.
Sgt. Kegler said investigators used surveillance cameras and interviews with students to find the six suspects. He said all of them are students at Carolina Forest High School.
Four of those arrested are juveniles, and they were sent to the Department of Juvenile Justice. Green and Taylor were taken to the J. Reuben Long Detention Center.
Sgt. Kegler estimated the school bomb threat Wednesday was the 13th threat his department has responded to since November of last year. In addition, Myrtle Beach police have responded to a few school bomb threats within the city limits in recent months. Sgt. Kegler said despite the continuous threats within Horry schools, officers will not become complacent with these threats and will continue to handle each one as they have in the past, investigating each incident fully.
"A sense of complacency could come into effect, not only on us, but on the parents, on the students, on the teachers," Kegler said. "But we are dedicated to not getting complacent. on any of these calls. Our children are our main concern. So we are going to continue to do everything in our power to ensure that they're safe, investigate to the fullest of our ability, and hopefully identify and charge people in connection with these."
Kegler adds that HCPD will continue to utilize the bomb squad and search dogs at each reported threat.
A public service announcement about the danger and consequence of these threats is being prepared by Horry County Schools and the Horry County Police Department. Kegler said he hopes it will begin airing on television next week.
Students or parents can submit anonymous tips about any of the recent threats discovered in Horry County Schools to the Horry County Police Department at 915-TIPS or 915-SROS.