MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) Students at Forestbrook Middle School were allowed back into the building after a thorough sweep by the Horry County Police's bomb squad unit Tuesday, and now police have made an arrest in connection with the incident.
Sgt. Robert Kegler, spokesperson for the Horry County Police Department, says this bomb threat was reported to Horry County Police Tuesday morning. It was discovered on the wall of a bathroom at Forestbrook Middle School.
Students were evacuated, and Horry County Police was on the scene.
Teal Britton, spokesperson for the Horry County School District, said the threat was discovered written on the wall of the sixth grade boys restroom.
Britton said the threat indicated a specific time, and that the time had already past once the threat was discovered. Out of caution the school was evacuated and searched.
Kegler said shortly after 12:15 p.m. Tuesday, the school was cleared and students and staff were allowed back in the building.
A 12-year-old male student was arrested in connection with the bomb threat Tuesday morning, Kegler added.
Teal Britton says that student has been suspended pending a hearing before a district hearing officer. That decision can be appealed to the District's Appeals Board, and then the Horry County School Board.
Forestbrook Middle School Principal April Scott sent the following message to parents concerning the bomb threat:
A message was found on the restroom wall this morning. To ensure the safety of our students and staff we evacuated the school and contacted authorities. The school was searched and secured and we have been cleared to continue our regular school day. We will do everything we can to investigate this situation. The students and teachers have been sent back to class and have been instructed to continue their regular activities.
Thank you for your support.
This threat remains under investigation by the Horry County Police Department.
This is the second bomb threat discovered at Forestbrook Middle School this month.