FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) City of Florence Firefighters were called to the scene of an early morning fire in Florence that involved a multi-family dwelling with heavy smoke showing when crews arrived on scene.
The blaze occurred on the 600 Block of Nome St. at 12:35 a.m. Tuesday morning. Firefighters from three stations had the fire in the two-story, two family structure under control in about thirty minutes.
While one firefighting crew battled flames on the first floor of the home, a second crew from the Ladder Company took a hose to the second floor to search for occupants. All residents were confirmed to be outside of the structure and safe.
All Florence Fire Department units were clear of the scene at 2:45 a.m. The Florence Police Department and Florence County EMS also responded to the scene. There were no injuries reported and the residents are now being assisted by the local chapter of the American Red Cross.
The fire was apparently started by fireplace ashes being discarded close to the residence.
The Florence Fire Department says all residents who use woodstoves or fireplaces should place all embers and ashes in an approved, non-combustible container until they are completely cold before discarding them.