MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) Occupants of a Myrtle Beach apartment complex were awakened by a fire early Monday morning.
According to Horry County Fire Rescue spokesperson Leslie Yancey, firefighters were dispatched to a second floor apartment at Abaco Bay Apts at 3919 Halyard Way, just off of Forestbrook Road in Myrtle Beach, at 7:20 a.m. Monday.
Authorities say the fire was accidental and originated due to a malfunction with the central heating unit.
Yancey says smoke was visible when crews arrived on scene and apartments on the second floor were damaged during the blaze.
The Property Manager of Abaco Bay says he smelled smoke in his unit, and realized it was coming out of his neighbor's apartment. He then ran the adjacent unit and banged on the door until his neighbor woke up and exited the apartment.
Residents made it out safely, and no injuries were reported. One occupant of the residence was displaced following the blaze.