Conway family escapes fire through bedroom window

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) A Conway family escaped their burning home through a bedroom window after discovering their living room was on fire early Thursday morning.

Firefighters from Horry County Fire Rescue responded to an overnight fire at 109 Hampton Ridge Rd. in Conway.

Crews were called out shortly after midnight to the single-family home. Firefighters reported smoke coming from the residence when they arrived and immediately began battling the flames inside the home. The blaze was complete extinguished within 15 minutes.

The family was awakened by their smoke detectors, and after seeing the fire in the living room, the family escaped through a bedroom window.

"Smoke alarms are the first line of defense against smoke and fire in your home," stated Justin Gibbins, Assistant Chief of Operations at Horry County Fire Rescue. "As this situation shows, simply stated — fire alarms that are in good working order save lives. We urge all residents to check the batteries in their alarms."

HCFR investigators say the blaze was accidental, with the origin being the family's live Christmas tree.

Fire officials encourage everyone to remove live Christmas trees before the needles dry out, which can easily become a fire hazard.

Investigators did not comment on the extent of the damage to the home.

Copyright 2011 WMBF News. All rights reserved.