HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) Enjoying a festive beverage is a treasured pastime at some holiday parties, but how do you host a rocking holiday fete without your friends overindulging? If you're throwing a holiday bash, WMBF News has all the tips so can host your holiday party responsibly this season.
Step One: Know your guests
- If your friends and family tend to overindulge, collect the keys when they walk in the door.
- Know the age of your guests. It is illegal to provide alcohol to anyone under the age of 21.
Step Two: Drink Options
- If you will be serving alcoholic beverages, make low-alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages available for those who don't wish to drink, or those who may not be old enough.
- Avoid mixing alcohol with caffeine, which accelerates alcohol absorption in the bloodstream.
- Pick a party drink. Create a special drink that can be prepared in advance or easily prepared to save you time and money. Supplying fewer options allows your guests more time to socialize. We've provided a few recipes here:
Step Three: Food
- Provide some appetizers or snacks for your guests to munch on while they socialize.
- High protein foods, such as cheese and meat, will stay in the stomach longer.
- For even more food and drink ideas, visit the Holiday page on WMBFNews.com
Step Four: Entertain
- Plan games and activities that keep the spirit light and your guests entertained.
- Having background music is always a good idea.
Step Five: Mind the clock
- Stop serving alcohol around two hours before you expect the party to end.
- Provide cab fare or a couch for your overindulging guests if necessary.
For more tips on how to host your holiday party responsibly, check out this article on how to throw the perfect New Year's Bash.