Jail investigation remains ongoing a week after inmate escapes

CONWAY, SC (WMBF) - Even a week after an inmate escaped from the J. Reuben Long Detention Center, jail officials stress they're investigating how the inmate was released on their watch.

Charles Dwight Ransom was released on Monday November 21st after jail officials said he pretended to be another inmate set to be released on bond.

"It didn't work that time, the system works there are several mechanisms that in a release process that safeguard against this type of event from happening." said Tom Fox, the Director of the J. Reuben Long Detention Center.

Jail employees are required to check fingerprints, mug shots, and other identification before an inmate can be processed out. So far investigators do not believe any employee willingly participated in the escape but that question is being looked at during the investigation.

"He probably stayed in the area for a brief amount of time, until he could get transportation out of here." added Fox when asked where Ransom may have gone following his release.

Jail officials are reviewing security procedures and an internal investigation on the matter remains ongoing. Two employees are on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

Copyright 2011 WMBF News All Rights Reserved