Homeowner deep-fries turkey -- and home - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Homeowner deep-fries turkey -- and home

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) A family is forced out of their home after an early morning fire created significant damage to the residence.

Horry County Fire Rescue Public Information Officer Leslie Yancey said the fire sparked early Thanksgiving morning at 2711 Hughes Gasque Road.  Yancey said the homeowner was deep frying a turkey when something went wrong.

Yancey said the fire started on the outside of the double-wide mobile home and then spread to the inside of the unit. Once firefighters arrived, they were able to put out the flames quickly, Yancey said.  The cause of the fire is accidental. 

Yancey stressed the importance of homeowners who deep fry their turkeys to do so at least 25 feet away from any structure.

Copyright 2011 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly