NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - Officials in Horry County have canceled classes Wednesday for students attending North Myrtle Beach Elementary School.
The cancellation comes after a fire sparked in an electrical panel near the school cafeteria shortly after 12 a.m. Wednesday. It is the second small fire that occurred at the school in two days.
District maintenance staff responded to the scene and monitored the building until 1:30 a.m., according to Horry County Schools spokeswoman Teal Britton.
Maintenance staff are expected to return to the school Wednesday morning to repair the damaged electrical panel and to make sure the school is safe for students to return to on Thursday.
Officials say damage was limited in the Wednesday morning fire to the low-voltage panel.