MB woman convicted of making up sexual assault - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

MB woman convicted of making up sexual assault

Janelle Martinez claimed three men held her down and raped her in 2010 (Source: MBPD) Janelle Martinez claimed three men held her down and raped her in 2010 (Source: MBPD)

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – A Myrtle Beach woman has admitted to filing a false police report in claiming she was sexually assaulted and kidnapped in February of 2010, and has been sentenced to five years.

Capt. David Knipes, spokesman for the Myrtle Beach Police Department, said on February 6, 2010, Janelle Martinez, 24, reported to police she had been the victim of a kidnapping and a sexual assault at an area hotel.

Martinez further claimed two men held her down while a third man raped her and then reported this continued until each man had assaulted her.

All three men were interviewed by detectives, and evidence was collected for analysis.

Upon further investigation, it was determined Martinez was not completely forthcoming in her account of the events and crime. A lack of evidence and testimony by those interviewed did not support her claim, according to Knipes.

On April 15, 2010, Martinez was confronted about the inconsistencies in her claim. At that time, Martinez admitted to filing a false police report and said she was not sexually assaulted as she had previously claimed.

Martinez was then charged with three counts of filing a false police report.

On June 10, 2011, Martinez pled guilty and was sentenced to five years, which was suspended to time served and five years probation.

Further details surrounding the incidents have not been released by authorities at this time.

Copyright 2011 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Breaking

    Male victim badly burned by possible generator explosion in Robeson County

    Male victim badly burned by possible generator explosion in Robeson County

    Thursday, July 20 2017 2:18 PM EDT2017-07-20 18:18:08 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    A male victim was badly burned after a possible generator explosion in the Maxton area of Robeson County Thursday morning. At 10 a.m., Robeson County Fire received a call about a fire or explosion on El Rancho Drive off Jacobs Road, according to Robeson County Fire Marshal Stephanie Chavis.

    More >>

    A male victim was badly burned after a possible generator explosion in the Maxton area of Robeson County Thursday morning. At 10 a.m., Robeson County Fire received a call about a fire or explosion on El Rancho Drive off Jacobs Road, according to Robeson County Fire Marshal Stephanie Chavis.

    More >>
  • Police continue to investigate after man shot in mouth, hand in Longs area Tuesday

    Police continue to investigate after man shot in mouth, hand in Longs area Tuesday

    Thursday, July 20 2017 2:07 PM EDT2017-07-20 18:07:25 GMT
    (Source: Raycom Media)(Source: Raycom Media)

    A man was found covered with blood, shot in the mouth and hand, at the Tiger Mart in the Longs area of Horry County Tuesday night. Horry County Police officers responded to the Tiger Mart on East Highway 9 at about 9:45 p.m. The victim, a 30-year-old man, was found covered in blood with money falling out his pocket, the police report states. The man was holding his mouth where he had been shot.

    More >>

    A man was found covered with blood, shot in the mouth and hand, at the Tiger Mart in the Longs area of Horry County Tuesday night. Horry County Police officers responded to the Tiger Mart on East Highway 9 at about 9:45 p.m. The victim, a 30-year-old man, was found covered in blood with money falling out his pocket, the police report states. The man was holding his mouth where he had been shot.

    More >>
  • Breaking

    Police say Aynor-area shooting Wednesday night was accidental

    Police say Aynor-area shooting Wednesday night was accidental

    Thursday, July 20 2017 2:03 PM EDT2017-07-20 18:03:33 GMT
    Police are investigating a shooting that injured one person in the Aynor area Wednesday night. (Source: WMBF News)Police are investigating a shooting that injured one person in the Aynor area Wednesday night. (Source: WMBF News)

    A man received a non-life-threatening injury in a shooting in the Aynor area Wednesday night that police learned was accidental.

    More >>

    A man received a non-life-threatening injury in a shooting in the Aynor area Wednesday night that police learned was accidental.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly