HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - As soaring temperatures continue to scorch the Grand Strand and Pee Dee, firefighters are using the heat as a reminder for you to stay fire wise this summer.
Fire Marshal Todd Blomdahl, of Midway Fire Rescue, says the start of the summer heat is a good time to take a quick check of the equipment that helps to keep you and your family cool.
Blomdahl says dust is likely to accumulate on ceiling and portable fans, including inside the motors, which could cause a fire hazard for your house. In addition to fans, Blomdahl recommends taking a quick check of your window or outside air conditioning units to make sure there is no physical damage or any loose coils or faulty wires.
The U.S. Fire Administration says in all air conditioning unit fires reported across the U.S., 86 percent are sparked by a short circuit or malfunction.
Hand-in-hand with summer times comes cookouts, and Blomdahl says grilling poses one of the biggest outdoor fire risks to your house. The U.S. Fire Administration says the majority of grilling fires occur during the dinner hours of 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Firefighters suggest if you do plan on grilling out this summer, don't do it inside of a garage, porch, or enclosed patio. The enclosure not only increases the fire risk, but poses a health risk with the production of carbon monoxide.
Copyright 2011 WMBF News. All rights reserved.