Copycat bomb threat leads to search of Conway HS - WMBFNews.com, Myrtle Beach/Florence SC, Weather

Copycat bomb threat leads to search of Conway HS

Conway, SC -

HORRY COUNTY, SC (WMBF) - A social networking post threatening the safety of students and teachers at Conway High School is under investigation by area police and Horry County Schools.

Catina Hipp, spokeswoman for the Conway Police Department, said officers learned of the threats early Friday night after they were posted on various social networking sites.

According to officials, the posts read: "Imma blow up Conway High School Monday. Imma have a bomb on me Monday."

The threats prompted Conway Police and Horry County Schools to sweep the Conway High School campus with a K-9 unit for any security threats on Sunday night. Officials noted nothing out of the ordinary was discovered during the search.

Teal Britton, spokeswoman for Horry County Schools, said a phone tree was activated to alert parents and teachers of the situation.

"We went through extra procedures to make sure everything was locked down," Britton said. "[Conway High School] opened Monday with some additional safety procedures."

Britton noted two Conway High School students have been tabbed as suspects in the ongoing investigation.

"A few years ago we didn't have to worry about social media," said Conway High School Principal Porter Kennington.  "The world has become very fast paced and instant...used to be when you wrote something down and before you mailed it or attached it to a bathroom wall you had at least a few steps to think about is this the right thing to do."

Porter says online threats carry the same weight as other variations, including stiff consequences.  He says his staff will be reinforcing to students that online threats are not something that will be taken lightly.

"Most of our students I'm afraid don't understand that just about anything can be traced whether it be an email address, facebook account, or whether it be somebody writing something on a piece of paper," explained Kennington.  "We try to teach our students that yeah social media is a great way to communicate and it's real quick and it's real easy and it's really inexpensive... but there are responsibilities and ethics involved."

Copyright 2010 WMBF News. All rights reserved.

  • Local NewsLocalMore>>

  • Suspect arrested in murder of 85-year-old Lumberton man

    Suspect arrested in murder of 85-year-old Lumberton man

    Saturday, July 21 2018 7:42 PM EDT2018-07-21 23:42:17 GMT
    Source: Robeson County Sheriff's OfficeSource: Robeson County Sheriff's Office

    LUMBERTON, NC (WMBF) - A suspect is behind bars Saturday, charged with murder in connection to the death of 85-year-old Rufus Revels of Lumberton County. William James Moore, 44, has been charged with first degree murder and robbery. Revels was found dead in his home earlier this month after Lumberton Police responded to a 9-1-1 call.  According to police Revels was beaten to death.  RELATED STORY:  'I'm stunned, hurt, upset:' 85-year-old Lumberton ...

    More >>

    LUMBERTON, NC (WMBF) - A suspect is behind bars Saturday, charged with murder in connection to the death of 85-year-old Rufus Revels of Lumberton County. William James Moore, 44, has been charged with first degree murder and robbery. Revels was found dead in his home earlier this month after Lumberton Police responded to a 9-1-1 call.  According to police Revels was beaten to death.  RELATED STORY:  'I'm stunned, hurt, upset:' 85-year-old Lumberton ...

    More >>
  • City of Florence recognized for economic development progress

    City of Florence recognized for economic development progress

    Saturday, July 21 2018 12:49 PM EDT2018-07-21 16:49:54 GMT
    Source: City of FlorenceSource: City of Florence
    Source: City of FlorenceSource: City of Florence
    FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - The City of Florence recieved state-wide recognition Saturday at an annual meeting between local South Carolina governments and officials.  In addition to the annual awards reception, the Municipal Association of South Carolina (MASC) provides a forum for sharing public service ideas throughout the state. The 2018 Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Award for Economic Development is the City of Florence's sixth straight MASC award.  "I'm happy to work with a ci...More >>
    FLORENCE, SC (WMBF) - The City of Florence recieved state-wide recognition Saturday at an annual meeting between local South Carolina governments and officials.  In addition to the annual awards reception, the Municipal Association of South Carolina (MASC) provides a forum for sharing public service ideas throughout the state. The 2018 Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Award for Economic Development is the City of Florence's sixth straight MASC award.  "I'm happy to work with a ci...More >>
  • Woman captures 'snowflakes' in July off Myrtle Beach balcony

    Woman captures 'snowflakes' in July off Myrtle Beach balcony

    Saturday, July 21 2018 12:28 PM EDT2018-07-21 16:28:56 GMT
    Source: Sheryl Campbell HughesSource: Sheryl Campbell Hughes

    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - A woman posted a video to Facebook Friday that has some checking their calendars. The video posted by Sheryl Hughes shows large drops of precipitation falling on an overcast day in Myrtle Beach. "I have never seen it snow at the beach...in July," said Hughes in the video, which has now been seen over 870,000 times. Some baffled by the marvel of mother nature rushed to the comment section to dispel the claim of snow showers.  Though areas arou...

    More >>

    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - A woman posted a video to Facebook Friday that has some checking their calendars. The video posted by Sheryl Hughes shows large drops of precipitation falling on an overcast day in Myrtle Beach. "I have never seen it snow at the beach...in July," said Hughes in the video, which has now been seen over 870,000 times. Some baffled by the marvel of mother nature rushed to the comment section to dispel the claim of snow showers.  Though areas arou...

    More >>
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff surrenders, 1 killed

    Gunman in Trader Joe's standoff surrenders, 1 killed

    Saturday, July 21 2018 7:44 PM EDT2018-07-21 23:44:18 GMT
    Saturday, July 21 2018 10:20 PM EDT2018-07-22 02:20:19 GMT
    The suspect handcuffed himself and surrendered to police three hours after it all began.The suspect handcuffed himself and surrendered to police three hours after it all began.

    Police confirm the suspect shot his grandmother and a woman at another location, then took his grandmother's car. He also took the wounded woman with him.

    More >>

    Police confirm the suspect shot his grandmother and a woman at another location, then took his grandmother's car. He also took the wounded woman with him.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly